It’s hard to pick out a pivotal moment when it happened, but it did. I fell in love with cycling. So much so that I fell out of love with running (but that’s for another blog).
Cycling is my release. My ‘me’ time. My meditation. My chance to explore.
Life can get pretty stressful, right? Trying to balance work, family life and training… I don’t know about you but my head is one big to-do list with mental post-it notes stuck everywhere. Problem is the list just never seems to go down. I’ll be half way through a work call when something will trigger the doomed list in my head and I’m inwardly cursing… Oh no! I forgot to ask my mum about picking up Lillie, I’m in Manchester on Thursday! And so the ‘oh no’ moments continue…
The summer in general makes getting out so much easier. It’s no secret that I HATE THE TURBO but the summer weather means getting out in shorts and a healthy dose of vitamin D.
Here’s my top 5 reasons why I think you should give cycling a go this summer
- Headspace – for me this is number one. A chance to escape the hustle and bustle of work and a busy schedule. When I first started cycling, I always used to ride with someone, but now I do most of my cycling on my own and I love the thinking time it gives me. If I’m feeling overwhelmed or down or even tired, cycling in the sun is the best remedy ever.
- Explore new places – What better way to get outside, breathe in the fresh air and explore. Walking and running are great but it’s amazing how much ground you can cover on a bike. Pick a location, throw your bike (and essentials) in the back of your car and off you go. If you are thinking of exploring abroad check out www.epicroadrides.com
- Challenge yourself – unlike running, cycling is low impact so kinder on your body. For that reason, when I started I foolishly thought it was easier! As with any sport, you can set yourself goals and push yourself as much as you want to. I started by increasing the time I spent out riding. Building this slowly for one ride a week and then starting to increase to more rides a week. Of course then I wanted to ride faster – I couldn’t help myself. It’s exhilarating!
- Involve the family – kids love bikes and there are so many parks, paths and trails away from traffic where you can go and enjoy riding as a family. I’ve yet to convince my mum and dad to join me but my daughter Lillie loves packing a picnic and coming for a ride with me. Just be aware of riding with your other half. In my experience, men are so competitive they hate getting ‘chicked’ (otherwise known as getting their butt kicked by a woman) so go easy on them 😉
- Body confidence – if all that isn’t enough to convince you to get outside and ride this summer then let’s not forget the strong legs and peachy bums of cyclists! If you are a runner or gym bunny then add cycling to your cross training. I’ve ran some of my best times since taking up cycling. I feel so much stronger and confident in my own skin. Plus, summer is the perfect time to show off all of your hard work.
And let’s not forget summer is an excuse to shop – it gives you the opportunity to fill your wardrobe with lots of color. Think of how good you’ll feel in some well-fitting, colorful kit. Check out the fab range at www.liv-cycling.com/gb/gear/rider-gear
Wishing you a fun, adventure packed summer on two wheels!